Elle King broke onto the music scene last fall with her first hit single, “Ex’s & Oh’s,” a sultry, unapologetic rock song that incorporates elements of alternative rock, blues and country.
While the single had a slow start, the 26-year-old’s heartbreak tune ultimately came through. It’s been creeping back up the charts and hitting radio station airwaves as of late. The song’s even been certified platinum by the RIAA.
With a signature smoky voice and fiery stage presence to boot, she only has up to go from here. “I just grew up around performers,” said Elle. “I just loved it and I’ve always wanted to be onstage and I never wanted to get a real job.”
Though her first full album, Love Stuff, was already released earlier this year, all eyes are on what the singer is up to next. So far, she’s already performed on high profile shows like Dancing With the Stars and is also scheduled for multiple talk show appearances. But before that, let’s delve into the world of Elle King with a couple facts you might not have known:
- She’s got a famous dad. Hot Chick, anyone? Her dad, Rob Schneider, was a SNL cast member and has featured in several hit comedies. Even though her parents divorced when she was young, her famous roots must’ve played a role in her desire to become an entertainer.
- She started off as an actress. Bitten with the showbiz bug early on, Elle started off with acting gigs. Her first was alongside her father in the movie Deuce Bigalo: Male Gigolo and The Benchwarmers. Acting never really stuck, but her interest in the arts remained and she studied painting and film in college.
- She’s been around town. Elle grew up in Columbus, Ohio but has spent time in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and even Copenhagen, Denmark! New York City is where she first started gigging as a 16-year-old, singing in empty bars and wherever else she could perform. She’s since performed in major events including the South by Southwest Festival.
- She’s seen failures (along with her success). Back in 2012, Elle actually The Elle King EP. The EP garnered some buzz, but it wasn’t really until this year that the public caught on to her talents. She’s also caught the eye of other high profile artists, including Train, Dashboard Confessional, and Ed Sheeran.
- She’s scared of pop? Though initially worried about co-writing and becoming part of the mainstream, “Ex’s and Oh’s” came from a session with producer Dave Bassett. “I used to be afraid of those three letters, but I’m not anymore,” admits Elle. “Now I understand that it’s just mainstream, it’s popular and I’m learning and I don’t care.”