Kiss summer goodbye and say hello to the 1950’s!
Autumn 2014 Hair Trends
1950’s hairstyles are updated with new contemporary shapes and finishes for both women and men, giving a modern luxury look. We look back at different times in history for styling inspiration, including the Edwardian era. Hair colour leans towards a more pared-back palette, focusing on white and silvery greys.
ROMANTIC / VINTAGE / FEMININE
WRAPPED / RIBBONS / CRAFTED
Simple up dos are decorated with ribbons for an elegant appeal. The classic braid is woven with fabric to create an intricate design aesthetic.
SHORT BOB / SIDE-PARTED / WAVY
Classical Hollywood actresses such as Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe inspire this hair trend. The look moves away from old glamour to a tougher look with a shorter, layered cut that sits just below the chin. Pair this edgy style with a long, side-parted wavy fringe for a casual vibe.
TINTED WHITE / REFINED / FLAWLESS
An albino-white tone with a silvery grey undertone. Hair is dyed all over in white and then enhanced with silver to add depth and definition.
RETRO / QUIFFS / TEXTURAL LAYERS
Retro looks are updated with a modern twist. Longer hair at the top is styled into tall quiffs with looser layers rather than slicked and gelled-back for a casual look.
Texture is matte rather than wet and shiny, while the side of the hair is kept short but not shaved.
Wanna achieve these “Past Modern” Hairstyles?
Tips To remember:
- Edwardian hairstyles inspire softer romantic up-dos, with looser, relaxed shapes and bird’s-nest volume
- Ribbons add decoration to braided up-dos
- Short bobs inspired by Hollywood screen-sirens are toughened up with wavy fringes and layers
- Albino-white hair with a grey undertone is key for this trend
- Retro styles for men are updated with modern looks, with gelled hair replaced by matte finishes